AMBASSADOR ANNIE CALLING FOR DUTY – NOVEMBER 2019
Hello! I’m Annie and I am over the moon to be a Kilomathon Ambassador!
Being an Ambassador for this great event really does mean a lot to me as my running journey started in 2016 and the Kilomathon was my very first goal!
I had just been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (a form of Bowel Disease) and my way of coping with it was to fundraise and feel like I was actively doing something to help. I chose the Kilomathon as my goal as the distance was just that little bit further than a 10k and I wanted to push myself as much as I could. Not to mention…the medal looked awesome and the finish line was in Murrayfield Stadium – what was not to love?!
I remember that feeling of absolute joy running over that finish line –literally like a superstar! I was so so proud of what I had achieved.
I didn’t run again after that for about a year, mainly as I was coming to terms with my illness and trying to find a way to manage my symptoms but one day my best friend Lauren asked if I wanted to do some fundraising with her and that was when Project 2girls12goals was born.
We agreed to run 1 race a month for a whole year to raise money and awareness for Crohn’s & Colitis UK, SAMH & Cancer Research UK. It was a mammoth challenge but we smashed it. We ended up doing way more than 12 races and raised an incredible £5000. The Kilomathon was of course our April race and it was the perfect distance for us between a 10k and a half marathon.
Photo: Annie and best friend Lauren at the Kilomathon finish line in 2017
Now, I run for fun! I use it to escape from daily life and to catch up with friends. I’ve also found that running really helps me judge how my illness is behaving and now have little things that I notice when a flare up might be happening and it allows me to plan and get the help I need in advance.
I really enjoy the Kilomathon and I’m excited to be running the race again in 2020 and see how much I have progressed (even if it is only a couple of seconds!).
So here are my Kilomathon 2020 goals:
- Gain a new Kilomathon PB (1:20:39 to beat)
- Get a good race photo (the struggle is real! I’ve no idea how some people manage to look sensational whilst running!)
- Enjoy it!
I can’t wait to share my journey with you all and get the training started!
Photo: Annie enjoying a run in Edinburgh
If you’ve already signed up or if you are still toying with the idea here are my top tips to get you started and motivated for that start line!
Annie’s Top Tips
For me, the hardest part is over… believing in yourself enough to have the confidence to sign up for the race in the first place. So anything from here on out will be an added bonus but here are some added tips to let you push yourself and enjoy it even more.
- Find a running buddy – personally, I find running on my own can sometimes be a struggle. I really enjoy running with friends or with a run club as chatting along the way not only clears my mind after a long day but also makes the time pass a lot quicker
- Mix it up – try different routes in training to keep your motivation and enjoyment high. Some of my favourite Edinburgh routes are along the canal or innocent railway.
- Get a head torch – it’s starting to get dark super early so if you are going to be training in the evening, make sure you have a light and reflective clothing to stay safe and see where you’re going!
Want to stay in touch? Follow me on Instagram: @2girls12goals