Today's school children face all kinds of challenges that threaten to derail them, from gang culture on our streets to challenging home lives. Unless they are given the means to cope, their feelings of sadness, fear and anger can easily spill over in the classroom - and in society.
- 3 children in every classroom have a diagnosable mental health disorder
- 90% of young offenders had a mental health disorder as a child
- 80% of children showing behavioural problems at the age of five go on to develop more serious forms of anti-social behaviour
- Children are less likely to suffer from serious mental health difficulties in later life if they receive support at an early age
- Growing evidence indicates that promoting positive mental health in schools improves academic progress, attendance and exclusion rates
Why we need your help
A child's formative years have a huge impact on their long-term development and prospects. Early intervention helps to prevent the downward spiral which can start in childhood and gain momentum through adolescence.
Poor behaviour, truancy, low academic achievement, exclusion, drug and alcohol abuse, teenage pregnancy, and involvement in crime. These are the consequences of leaving children's problems unaddressed.
Our evidence shows that children who receive our help have:
- Enhanced self-esteem
- Improved academic progress
- Stronger communication skills
- Ability to develop positive relationships
Run for Place2Be
Apply for a Charity Entry
You can only apply to one Affiliate Charity at a time. For further information on how the Charity Entry process works please see our Charity Runner FAQs.
Please click on the event you would like to participate in:
Already have your Own Entry?
If you already have your Own Entry, you can pledge to fundraise for Place2Be via your My Details account.
Simply log in and click on the link next to your entry.